· By Christian Kennedy
Authentic Vegetarian Jerk Recipe - Sauces by Jrk!
Is it possible to have the same mouthwatering flavors of traditional jerk sauce without meat? Try this Authentic Vegetarian Jerk Recipe!
Have you ever tried vegetarian jerk? Well, now's your chance! This recipe is 100% authentic and perfect for any vegetarians out there. The sauce is made with fiery scotch bonnet peppers, aromatic allspice, and fresh ginger – it'll have you licking your fingers (and your plate)! So give it a try – you won't be disappointed.
Look no further than Sauces by Jrk! Our recipe is based on traditional Jamaican jerk spices and will have you feeling the heat! So get ready to enjoy this dish with friends and family – they won't believe it's meatless!
Give it a read for more information!
What Is Jerk Sauce?
Jerk sauce is a popular condiment in the Caribbean. It is a spicy, sweet, and tangy sauce that adds flavor to dishes. There are many jerk sauce recipes so you can customize it to your liking. It is great for vegetarian dishes, as well as meat dishes.
There are many recipes for jerk sauce, and the exact ingredients can vary depending on the cook's preferences. Some jerk sauces are spicy, while others are only mildly spicy or sweet. Typically, the more chili peppers are used in the sauce, the spicier it will be. Allspice is another key ingredient in jerk sauce, giving it its characteristic flavor. Other common ingredients in jerk sauce include thyme, cloves, ginger, garlic, onion, and green onions.
Jerk Grilled Eggplant
Jerk grilled eggplant is a popular dish from Jamaica. It is made by marinating eggplant in a spice blend called Jerk, then grilling it over high heat. The eggplant is usually served with rice and beans or as a side dish.
How To Make Jamaican Jerk Eggplant
This recipe requires 30 minutes from start to finish, and hopefully, you have all the ingredients you need in your pantry right now!
Prepping The Eggplant
- Start by cutting the eggplant into thin slices. You may want to cut the slices in half if your eggplant is on the larger side.
- Next, add the eggplant slices to a colander and sprinkle them with salt. This will help to draw out any bitterness from the eggplant.
- Let the eggplant sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse it well and pat it dry.
- Now it's time to make the jerk seasoning. Mix all the spices in a small bowl: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, and thyme. Set the spice mix aside.
Ingredients depend on your taste however, according to JRK recipes, these ingredients, if added to the eggplant, will make the best out of it.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (~2 Tbsp minced garlic per 4 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos (or soy sauce if not GF)
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil (or grape seed or avocado oil // plus more for grilling)
- 3 stalks of green onions or scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium serrano or habanero pepper (thinly sliced // seeds removed)
- 1 large eggplant (or sub 2 small per 1 large)
Jrk! seasoning sauces will add a flavorful aroma and increase your appetite when eggplant is still in the kitchen. So be ready for an amazing mix of Jamaican sauces on eggplant. You can add Jamaican vegan BBQ sauce, Simple scotch bonnet hot sauce, maple syrup, or any variety of packs specifically designed for vegans. We provide optimum quality sauces for all types of users.
After the preparation part comes the cooking part of the eggplant. The instructions are as follows,
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a bit of oil. The heating temperature should be around 375-400F (190-200C).
- Add the sliced onions and cook until they're softened, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the prepared eggplant slices to the pan.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes per side until they're browned and slightly charred around the edges.
- Remove the cooked eggplant from the pan and set it aside on a plate.
- To the same pan, add more oil, if necessary, and chopped scallions, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Then add in the canned tomatoes and Jamaican Jerk Seasoning mixture. Stir everything together and cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through.
- Finally, add the cooked eggplant to the pan and stir everything together.
- Serve hot over rice or quinoa, and enjoy!
Authentic Jamaican Jerk Tofu Recipe
This recipe is for those who want to enjoy the jerk flavors without the meat. Tofu is a great vegetarian alternative to Jamaican jerk chicken or pork, and it takes on the marinade's flavor very well.
The key to making this dish authentic is in the marinade. Read it for the full recipe!
Jerk Tofu Ingredients
Below are notes about the main ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make these vegan jerk tofu:
These give jerk its unique flavor. If you don't have allspice berries, you can use 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice instead.
You can use light or dark brown sugar for this recipe. Brown sugar is not vegan. Coconut sugar or date sugar is recommended if you need a vegan version.
Yellow Onion And Garlic
You will need 1/2 of a yellow onion and 4 cloves of garlic for this recipe. Fresh garlic is recommended. However, you could also use 1 teaspoon of onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Scotch Bonnet Peppers
This is a must for jerk seasoning. If you can't find scotch bonnet peppers where you live, you could also use habanero peppers. If using habanero peppers, we recommend using 1 pepper for this recipe as they are much hotter than scotch bonnet peppers. If you don't like things too spicy, try simple scotch bonnet hot sauce.
Browning is a Jamaican cooking technique where you first fry the food in oil until it browns. This adds flavor and prevents the food from sticking to the pan.
For this recipe, We recommend using extra firm tofu. You could also use firm tofu. However, it will be more delicate and might fall apart while cooking.
JRK does not recommend silken tofu for this recipe as it is too soft and will not hold up well while cooking.
Substitutions And Variations
One variation that can be made to this recipe is using a different type of tofu. If you are not a fan of extra firm tofu, you could try using firm tofu instead. Another variation that can be made is adding more or less certain ingredients, such as scotch bonnet peppers or allspice berries. If you are looking for a spicier jerk tofu dish, you could add more scotch bonnet peppers. Conversely, if you are not a fan of spicy food, you could reduce the number of peppers used or make grilled jerk tofu with a small number of sauces. Also, you can prepare your jerk sauce with a few spices.
Finally, if you want a more pronounced allspice flavor, you could increase the number of allspice berries used. Overall, many variations can be made to this recipe, so feel free to experiment and find the perfect jerk tofu dish for your taste buds!
Cauliflower florets are seasoned and baked, then smothered in homemade Jamaican Jerk Sauce that is full of bold and indulgent flavors.
This recipe is perfect for those looking for a hearty yet healthier alternative to traditional jerk chicken.
Why Do You like Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower?
If you're looking for a delicious, vegan version of jerk chicken that will knock your socks off, look no further than this recipe! The cauliflower is coated in a spicy Jamaican jerk sauce and baked until crisp. This dish is perfect for a party or family gathering, as it can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a large crowd.
What Do I Need To Make Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower?
You will need one medium-sized cauliflower head, which yields around 8 cups of florets. You will also need some ingredients for the Jamaican jerk sauce.
Go for the list of things used for the batter purpose.
Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
You will need 1/4 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk for this recipe. We recommend using almond milk; however, any non-dairy milk will work.
Brown Rice Flour
You will need 1/4 cup of brown rice flour for this recipe. You could also use white rice flour or all-purpose flour. However, brown rice flour is the best option as it gives the batter a light and crispy texture.
Nutritional Yeast Flakes
You will need 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes for this recipe. This ingredient is optional; however, it does give the batter a nice cheesy flavor.
You will need 1 teaspoon of onion powder. It gives the batter a nice savory flavor.
You will need 1 teaspoon of paprika for this recipe. It does give the batter a nice smoky flavor.
You will need 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric for a nice golden color.
You will need 1/4 teaspoon of salt for this recipe. It helps to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
How To Make Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower?
This Jerk Cauliflower is a perfect vegan lunch, dinner, appetizer, or side dish. Serve them with vegetables, grains, or your preferred protein. The cauliflower makes includes
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the unsweetened non-dairy milk, brown rice flour, nutritional yeast flakes, onion powder, paprika, turmeric, and salt.
- Place the cauliflower florets into the batter bowl and ensure each floret is well coated.
- Spread the cauliflower florets onto the prepared baking sheet in one layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce or store in an airtight container for later.[H3] Serving Suggestions
Rice & Peas With Jerk Roasted Veg
Making a Rice & Peas With Jerk Roasted Veg dish is simple! Just follow these easy steps. First, gather all the ingredients needed, start marinating and then cook. Serve when hot.
- 125 g dried red kidney beans, or 1 x 400g tin of kidney beans
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 spring onions
- a few sprigs of thyme
- ½ teaspoon allspice berries
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 100 g block of coconut cream
- 1 scotch bonnet chili
- 400 g brown rice
- fat-free natural yogurt
- 4 spring onions
- ½ a bunch of fresh thyme
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 1 scotch bonnet chili
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 tablespoon golden rum
- olive oil
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 gem squash
- 2 green peppers
- 250 g okra
- 6 spring onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 scotch bonnet chilies
- 8 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 heaped teaspoon of sugar
After adding all the ingredients to your taste cooking of Rice & Peas With Jerk Roasted Veg starts.
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water, then set aside.
- To make the jerk marinade, put all of the ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Cut the squash, peppers, okra, and spring onions into bite-sized pieces. Place into a large roasting tray with the garlic cloves. Add 3 tablespoons of the jerk marinade and toss everything together until coated.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Roast the veg for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, or until tender and slightly charred around the edges.
- To make the pickle, finely slice the red onion and chilies. Place into a bowl with the vinegar, bay leaves, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together until the sugar has dissolved, then set aside for 10 minutes so the flavors can develop.
- Serve the rice, roasted veg, and pickle on plates, with a dollop of yogurt and an extra splash of rum, if you like.
Vegan Jerk Chicken Tortilla Bowls
This pasta recipe is packed with nutrients and is a great source of protein. Each serving provides 38 grams of protein, which is more than the recommended daily intake for most adults. It also contains 6 grams of dietary fiber and 5 grams of healthy fats. This combination makes it a satisfying and nutritious meal that can help you meet your daily nutritional needs.
- 1 batch of vegan jerk chicken
- 1 batch of Cajun roasted sweet potatoes
- 1/2 batch of dirty rice
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup of your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 cup of vegan sour cream
Now that you are equipped with all the necessary ingredients and sauces, let's start cooking.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large baking dish, bake the vegan jerk chicken for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the Cajun roasted sweet potato and dirty rice according to their respective instructions.
- Once everything is cooked, assemble the bowls by layering the chicken, sweet potatoes, dirty rice, black beans, lettuce, and hot sauce.
- Top with vegan sour cream if desired. Serve immediately.